« November 2005 | Main | January 2006 »

December 30, 2005

I Love Chinese Medicine, but the Chinese...

I found this little gem coming off of some funny blog lines. Apparently the Chinese have decided that the internet can be an addiction to some, and what better way to beat an addiction than with Electro-Acupuncture. I'm all for using Acupuncture in whatever capacity we can, but this is ridiculous: Wired or CTV.

Posted by Admin at 11:04 AM | Comments (0)

December 23, 2005

Sloooooooow news week.

I love the holidays. But apparently, so do news reporters on health and alternative medicine. There's been practically nothing newsworthy over the past 2 weeks for the Acupuncture world. I'll keep plugging though.

Regardless, I want to thank everyone for making this new site finally getting it's feet under it. Small donations are still coming in, and the Practitioner directory is starting to get going. Our Google ranking has doubled over the past few months from a lot of people sending links our way (keep it up!)

At this, point, I'd like to open up the floor to others. If you're out there, and you'd like to be a contributor, let me know. I'm looking for people who want to scour the web and their local area on how the Acupuncture world is ever moving and changing. Then join me in posting and sharing what's out there so we can all be in the know.

Many thanks go to two people who keep this site running strong. Naturaldoc for keeping the boards under control and always interesting. Srikar for hosting this site and keeping the servers up and running.

Happy Holidays!
Steve Mavros, L.Ac.

Posted by Admin at 12:26 AM | Comments (0)

December 13, 2005

Branching Out: Study shows you can train brain away from pain

Say that 3 times fast. A study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences shows how chronic pain patients, using an fMRI to view real time brain scans of pain centers, can positively effect their pain levels. They compared them to those going through biofeedback without the brain scans and only the group with the visual aide seemed to learn techniques that significantly reduced their pain levels.

WebMD reviews the study: Link

Posted by Admin at 05:56 PM | Comments (1)

December 08, 2005

First MD's now Chiropractors

Apparently NM chiropractors think that with 200 hours of training they can be us. Don't know how many different ways to say the words 'bull @$%&.' I don't understand in whose fragile mind the concept that certain practitioners of medicine could practice a completely different form with minimal training was born. I don't claim to be able to adjust the spine, and no weekend course should allow me to do just that since obviously my 2+ years of TCM theory won't be applicable!!! But for 200 hours chiropractors think they're smart enough to learn what we take 4 years to. Albuquerque Tribune Article

If you guys are out there, let's all write a letter to the editor of the Tribune telling them what kind of crap this is: letters@abqtrib.com.

Posted by Admin at 04:14 PM | Comments (6)

After 22 Years, Acupuncture regulation in Canada?

The Ontario government is proposing legislation to finally regulate the practice of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Believe it or not, it is completely unregulated now, and anyone can call themselves an acupuncturist and there is nothing stopping them: Yahoo Asiao News Article. The proposed legislation would restrict who could perform acupuncture, as well as create a board/college to self-govern for ethical violations.

Unfortunately, the legislation is purported to candor to many different interest groups. It would define different training and entry levels for different professionals as opposed to setting a universal standard. Sounds like the doctors are at it again: CBC

Posted by Admin at 11:42 AM | Comments (0)

December 05, 2005

New Journal Entry: Ghost Syndromes

A paper submitted by Sherri B. Green. A new journal entry, and very interesting paper on 5 Element theory and treatments, relating to Sun Si Miao's Ghost Points.

Excerpt: 'As a student of Five-Element Acupuncture the study of possession and the seven dragons for seven devils protocol for treating demonic possession or what some practioners refer to as energetic blocks of emotional fixation. Treatment of possession is emphasized in Classical Five-Element Acupuncture because it does not allow the treatment of other ailments before the removal of this block. The colorful and mythical name of possession and its acupuncture treatment protocol has lead me to the study of the thirteen ghost points and what I refer here to as the ghost syndrome. Ghost Syndromes are a group of symptoms that can be associated with mania, fright and schizophrenia.'

Article Here

Posted by Admin at 05:21 PM | Comments (0)

December 02, 2005

Tough Year for CA Acupuncturists

For those looking for a quick synopsis of all the hardships CA AOM practitioners went through this year, Asian Week did a quick piece: Link

Posted by Admin at 12:52 PM | Comments (1)