Here are all the national organizations and associations that work with and govern over the profession. Here you can find out how to get an application for the board exams and lots of other fun stuff. Now remember, these are also the organizations that are involved in promoting acupuncture at the government level. Many lobby for laws to help us out so check out their sites and maybe help out or just be in the know.
The Important Ones
- Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine - The national accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education to accredit professional programs in the acupuncture and Oriental medicine profession.
- Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine Alliance - A consumer and practitioner advocate group that do a lot to help with the PR of acupuncture and also on the legislative side. Some interesting articles on the site along with good general info on acupuncture, especially insurance and herbs. Membership offers good discounts for students and practitioners.
- Acupunture and Oriental Medicine National Coalition - A free to join coalition to advocate for OM legislation and public awareness.
- American Academy of Medical Acupuncture - Grrr. These guys mean well but they're easy to dislike because 9 out of 10 of them are practicing acupuncture with less than 300 hours of study. The good news is the AAMA's goal is promoting more study and better research into acupuncture so they do deserve credit.
- American Academy of Veterinary Acupuncture - All the crazy animal needlers out there apparently have an organization and even an annual conference.
- National Acupuncture Detoxification Association - The name speaks for itself. Great organization but their site needs a little more work.
- National Sports Acupuncture Association - The nation's largest association of acupuncturists and other health professionals who share a dedication to an holistic approach to sports medicine.
- Society for Acupuncture Research - A group of Acupuncturists and Doctors who promote clinical research into Oriental Medicine. They also have a yearly conference reporting cool findings for the year.
- TCM World Foundation - An educational organization specializing in seminars. The most notable is their recent Building Bridges of Integration conferences which attempt to do just that.
USA - State Associations
You'll notice a dearth of states here, and that is because I have tried my hardest to find their societies' websites and just couldn't. For phone numbers and email addresses of ones not listed above, click on the AAOM link above and you will find a listing.
Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture in Canada - Good introduction to acupuncture knowledge and excellent resource for finding practitioners in canada. Also lots of interesting articles put together.
Association d'Acupuncture du Québec - Hope you speak French!!
British Acupuncture Council - Britain's accreditation association.
European Register of Organizations of TCM - Conglomeration and listing of all of the European Organizations. If you are looking for an organization in Europe just go here.